Simple, dairy-free, gluten-free, and packed with veggies!
Last Saturday night was pasta night at the ranch. We typically do a version of spaghetti and meatballs on Saturday or Sunday night, and everyone LOVES it! We splurge and get fresh pasta for Mom and Dad. The girls love Banza chickpea pasta, and chickpea pasta has been known to make an appearance when we have guests for pasta night.
Right now, I am following an Elimination Diet. That’s right, friends - no gluten, dairy, beef, pork, shellfish, peanuts, corn, soy, sugar, and alcohol. Why the heck am I doing this to myself? Well, after spending all but 3.5 months of the last FOUR YEARS pregnant or nursing, my body is in need of a reset. It’s time to take out all possible food sources of inflammation and eats lots of anti-inflammatory foods like veggies, plant-based fats, organic poultry, and wild-caught fish. I am on week two of six, and I am feeling so much less fatigued, my GI tract is functioning better, and I have lost three pounds. Now, this plan is no walk in the park, but it sure works!
Let’s return to Saturday night. The crew requested my famous panko-breaded chicken and spaghetti with marinara sauce. I took this opportunity to make myself something similar and EASY to compliment the family meal. Voila! Chicken Parm with Creamy Pesto Pasta was born. I hope you enjoy the 10 minutes it takes to whip this up and it’s amazing flavor!
Chicken Parm with Creamy Pesto Pasta
1-2 chicken cutlets (eat one now, save the other for tomorrow!)
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup brown rice flour
2 tbsp grapeseed oil or coconut oil
2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1/4 cup Trader Joe’s Vegan Kale, Cashew, and Basil Pesto
1/4 cup dairy free creme fraiche
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups zoodles (Trader Joe’s carries frozen zoodles, and they are very easy to make with a spiralizer and zucchini)
1. Scramble egg and place in shallow dish.
2. Mix together flours and seasoning, and place in a separate shallow dish.
3. Heat oil in frying pan over medium high heat. It is ready for frying when the oil shimmers and a few drops of water added to the pan crackle!
3. Dredge the chicken cutlets in egg and then in the flour mixture. Place in frying pan. Pan fry each side for about 3-4 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned.
Set chicken aside on a plate.
4. Put zoodles in pan with extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Toss until heated but not limp (about 1-2 minutes).
5. Mix together creme fraiche and pesto sauce. Try not to eat it all before it hits the pasta!
6. Pour sauce over zoodles and heat through (about 1 minute). Put zoodles and sauce on a plate and place chicken cutlet on top. Yum!
7. Wishing you had some cheese to top off this masterpiece? Vegan Parm Cheese is a staple in this house and so easy to make!